Congratulations to the authors and illustrators of the books below. To their editors and publishers and also the CBCA judges.
The CBCA winning books for 2014 voted on by the judges, were announced this afternoon. The judges have a difficult job and I know that a lot of deliberation and discassion has gone on. The CBCA awards are given to works that are the benchmarks for quality in Australian children’s literature. The books that made to this short list are being read and enjoyed by the boys. I wrote a post about the older readers shortlist with links for follow-up earlier in the year. As is usually the case the books chosen this year were quite varied in their styles and subject matter.
The 2014 CBCA Book of the Year awards have been given to the authors and illustrators in the following five categories from older readers to early childhood
- Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near
- The Sky so Heavy by Claire Zorn
Winner: City of Orphans: A very unusual pursuit by Catherine Jinks. Catherine has an interesting page about the title, there are teaching notes and, from the Allen and Unwin site, there are Reviews by teachers (PDF) also.
- My life as an alphabet by Barry Jonsberg. There are teaching notes, on the Insideadog site there are reviews by YA readers and plenty of other reviews including a Readplus review
- Light horse boy by Dianne Wolfer
- I’m a dirty dinosaur by Janeen Brian and Ann James
- Banjo and Ruby Red by Libby Gleeson and Freya Blackwood
Winner: Rule of Summer by Shaun Tan. I am so pleased that another wonderful book by the brilliant author Shaun Tan won this section. There are some great resources – my post with links including to videos, a teachers’ guide here and a podcast on The art of Shaun Tan.
Eve Pownell Award for Information Books
Winner: Jeremy by Christopher Faille
- Welcome to my country by Laklak Burarrwanga and family There are Notes for teachers (PDF) and Reviews by teachers (PDF) from the Ale and Unwin site.
- Ice, wind, rock by Peter Gouldthorpe
Filed under: literature, Reading | Tagged: Australian_literature, book awards, books, CBCA, CBCA Shortlist, children's book awards, Children's Book Council of Australia, children's literature, Reading, YA literature | Leave a comment »